2021 Yamaha WR450F: First Look
It was just six months back that Yamaha’s much-updated 2020-model WR250F arrived in Aussie dealers. And today, the Japanese manufacturer has given us our first look at the 2021 WR450F; a machine that appears to be a significantly updated from its predecessor and incorporates a majority of the mods that appeared on its MX cousin, the YZ450F, a year ago – albeit with enduro-specific settings. Yamaha Motor Australia (YMA) confirmed that the 2021 WR450F should be in Australian dealers before Christmas, at a ‘Ride Away’ price of $15,499 (that includes GST, freight, pre-delivery, and 12 months registration).
So, specifically what’s new and/or improved on Yamaha’s 2021 WR450F? Well, here is what today’s PR from Yamaha Motor Australia revealed:
Development input by a range of Aussie enduro riders over the years is one reason the WR450F continues to outsell its competition. Continual updates based on the equally successful YZ450F MX weapon is another. And for 2021, the all-new WR450F is fully reworked with technology that has been forged in the intense heat of MX competition. More power and sharper handling are the result. To create an enduro bike with the flexibility to tackle tough trails and win races, the YZ platform has been extensively tested and tuned with enduro-specific settings.
Using the 2020 model YZ450F as a starting point, our experienced development team – including Kiwi race team manager and Yamaha legend, Josh Coppins – came up with an enduro weapon that turns, stops and goes better than ever before. The 2021 WR450F produces bulk power, but transmits that power to the ground in a more controllable manner with additional traction at both wheels.
Sporting a new aluminium bilateral beam frame, the WR450F feels lighter, is easier to turn in tight situations and has improved stability both in the bumps and in the air. Progressive, smooth KYB suspension continues to absorb big impacts and the braking performance is now improved.
The 2021 WR450F is designed to appeal to those born to ride – from professional enduro riders to super-capable trailriders. The new model comes in the new Team Yamaha Blue colour scheme that echoes its YZ and FX cousins in the VictorYZone.
Pricing is set at $15,499 including GST ride away including 12 months registration, with availability due for December, 2020.
2021 WR450F – DESIGN GOALS
- Lighter balance with added manoeuvrability.
- Easier cornering in tight situations.
- Improved front-end traction – initial turn-in and line maintenance mid-corner.
- Stronger, more progressive braking.
- Added stability both in bumps and in the air.
- Progressive, smooth suspension action with ability to absorb big impacts.
- Easier to control, progressive power.
- Strong and longer pulling power while maintaining traction.
2021 WR450F – FEATURES & BENEFITS
- New-gen YZ450F-based, forward-positioned, straight intake, rearward-inclined cylinder and rear exhaust port engine format for powerful output.
- The cylinder head is more compact and 310g lighter.
- Smartphone tuning.
- Compression ratio is increased from 12.8:1 to 13.0:1, and both intake and exhaust ports and valves are new.
- Bar-mounted engine map switch.
- Lightweight electric starter motor.
- Tougher five speed gearbox with model-specific clutch featuring heat-resistant friction plates, and updated shift drum and selectors for improved feel and shorter stroke when shifting.
- New controlled-fill aluminium bilateral beam frame tuned for enduro – it gets thinner main spars and thicker bottom tubes.
- Industry leading KYB speed-sensitive forks and shock absorber tuned for enduro.
- 18-inch rear wheel designed for excellent performance in enduro riding and wide tyre choice.
- New lighter footpegs.
- Lighter and stronger front axle shaft, top triple clamp, handlebar clamps (the bars are 15mm further forward and 5mm lower to help the rider get over the front-end to improve grip and steering.
- Lighter, more powerful brakes.
- New compact instrument display with fuel consumption indicator.
- Large plastic engine guard.
- Large-capacity radiator and cooling fan.
- Tool-free airbox access.
- Four-position adjustable handlebars.
- Sealed chain.
- 7.9-litre plastic fuel tank and compact fuel pump.
- Forged aluminium kickstand sits close to the bike.
- Meets global emissions standards.
- Sold fully ADR-compliant and road legal in Australia and comes with free off-road kit for closed-course competition use.
AUSTRALIAN OFF-ROAD KIT
All WR450Fs come with full ADR compliance and so can be road registered to ride in Australian state forests where permitted. For closed-course competition use, each bike also comes with a free off-road kit, which includes:
- Lightweight LED tail-light and licence plate holder
- High-quality braided steel front brakeline
- Larger-diameter GYTR exhaust muffler outlet
- Full power/full movement throttle stopper screw
- YZ air filter holder guide
- Brake snake rear foot brake protection
- Wiring connector for rear brake light
- Barkbusters handguard set
- Front and rear brakeline Banjo bolts
- Tail-light undercover
- Original sidestand bolt
- Original engine stop switch
- Original engine start switch
- Communication Control Unit
- CCU map switch
- 5 x 100mm zip-ties for speedo sensor line attachment to brakeline.
2021 WR450F – SPECIFICATIONS
|Engine type||Liquid-cooled, 4-stroke, DOHC, 4-valve|
|Bore x stroke||97.0 × 60.8mm|
|Fuel delivery||Fuel Injection|
|Transmission system||Constant mesh 5-speed|
|Frame||Aluminium bilateral beam|
|Front suspension||Telescopic fork|
|Rear suspension||Adjustable link-type|
|Front brake||Hydraulic single disc, 270mm|
|Rear brake||Hydraulic single disc, 245 mm|
|Front tyre||90/90-21 Metzeler Six Days Extreme|
|Rear tyre||130/90-18 Metzeler Six Days Extreme|
|Wet weight (inc. oil & fuel)||119kg|
|Fuel tank capacity||7.9 Litres|
|Colour||Team Yamaha Blue|
|Warranty||3 months, parts only|
|Ride away price (includes freight, pre-delivery and all on road costs)||$15,499 incl. GST|