Rated: Alpinestars A-1 Roost Guard
A product the Transmoto team has tried, tested and would recommend to a mate.
WHAT IS IT?
An ultra-lightweight roost guard from Italian protection specialist, Alpinestars, with a design focus on both protection and comfort. It’s CE certified against impacts, and incorporates an innovative strap system that makes it easy to adapt to varying rider sizes and fit preferences. In Alpinestars’ line of six guards/armours the A-1 is the cheapest of the bunch, with a larger focus on motocross than being a heavy-weight trailrider armour.
WHY WE RATE IT
- Protection: This guard is more than just a roost protector; unlike most other lightweight roost guards, it’s also CE certified. That means it’s comfortable and protective for your torso (it’s worth noting the back of the guard is not CE certified – because you can remove parts of the guard to make it less protective).
- Neckbrace compatibility: The A-1 guard works very well with Alpinestars’ BNS Neckbrace removable (via a removable rear panel and elastic pull tabs to secure the brace to the guard). It also fits Leatt and Altas neckbraces (at least, there’re the other braces we’ve tested it with).
- Adjustability: With adjustable shoulder and waist straps, this guard is easily tailored to suit your torso. Both straps have a large range of adjustment, which allows Alps to sell the guard in only three sizes (M-L, L-XL, and XL-XXL). Plus, the waist clips snap into place to ensure they won’t come loose while riding. You can also remove the back protector and run the Y-shaped strap if you are only after chest protection.
- Comfort: You can have the most protective guard on the market, but unless it’s comfortable you aren’t going to wear it. The benefit of the A-1 system is that it’s got enough flexibility to conform to your body (via the hinged lower back piece and flexible front chest piece), which makes it very comfortable when you are on the bike. It’s so comfortable, you’ll even see a fair few Pro riders rocking this guard under their jerseys, whether sponsored by Alpinestars or not. That said, if you like to wear your roost guard under your jersey, we suggest running a compression garment under it to prevent skin irritation.
- Ventilation: The exterior of the guard is perforated and the interior is made up of minimal foam. This lets the cool air flow through the front of the guard and the hot air escape through the back of the guard. Al of which means it keeps you cooler than a convention roost guard.
- Sizing: Make sure you try before you buy as this style of guard is smaller than heavier-weighted armours. I’m on the taller size (185cm), but I don’t have a broad chest, and I wear the biggest size (XL-XXL) – refer to the sizing chart at the bottom of this article. If you have a larger frame, consider looking at the model up: the A-4 Body Armour that is larger is size and has additional back protection.
- Back protection: The A-1 has enough back protection for motocross riders and trailriders who tend to bounce off trees, but if you find yourself on the ground a little more than you like, the next step up in the protection department, the Alpinestars A4 Body Armour, may be the go for you.
- Colourways: It’s not a biggie, but it’s worth noting the A-1 is only available in two colours: white/black/red and black/yellow.
PRICE & Availability
The Alpinestars a-1 Roost Guard is available for an RRP of $179.95 through your local Monza Imports dealer. Click here to find your closest store.