HOWES NABS MAIDEN RALLY-RAID WIN
Husqvarna Factory Racing’s Skyler Howes has stormed to second place on the fifth and final stage of the 2022 Rallye du Maroc to secure his first-ever FIM World Rally-Raid Championship win. The American completed five incredible days of rally racing in the Moroccan desert to ultimately finish just over seven minutes ahead of his second-placed teammate, Luciano Benavides.
Howes’ victory marks the 30-year-old’s first world championship race win, an impressive achievement that comes down to not only the commitment put in by himself and the team over the year developing the FR450 Rally, but also Skyler’s focus and work ethic. Now, with his confidence high, the likeable American will shift his attention to the Sonora Rally in Mexico later this month.
Meantime, the current FIM World Rally-Raid Championship leader, GASGAS’s Sam Sunderland, finished fifth Overall in Morocco, which allowed him to extend his championship lead to 22 points with just one round to go – the Andalucia Rally later this month.
2022 RALLYE DU MAROC – OVERALL
1. Skyler Howes (Husqvarna) 16:30:29
2. Luciano Benavides (Husqvarna) 16:37:42
3. Ricky Brabec (Honda) 16:41:17
4. Adrien Van Beveren (Honda) 16:42:36
5. Sam Sunderland (GASGAS) 16:45:20
6. Kevin Benavides (KTM) 16:50:40
2022 FIM RALLY-RAID WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP (AFTER RD3)
1. Sam Sunderland (GASGAS) 74 pts
2. Pablo Quintanilla (Honda) 52 pts
3. Ricky Brabec (Honda) 50 pts