First Look: Sherco’s 2021 Trial Bikes
Shortly after Sherco’s recent unveiling of their significantly upgraded range of two- and four-stroke enduro machines for 2021 – both ‘Racing’ and up-specced ‘Factory’ models – the fast-growing French manufacturer has done exactly the same for its trial bike (ST) range, which also come in Racing and Factory versions and will start arriving on Aussie dealer floors this October.
Sherco’s existing two-stroke-only model line-up remains for 2021 – ST 125, 250 and 300 Racing, and ST 125, 250 and 300 Factory – but the new machines come with a host of engine, chassis and component mods and upgrades; primarily aimed at improving throttle response, tractability and looks.
And is it just us, or do these things strike you as some of the most purpose-built, beautifully finished motorcycles on the planet? Sure, to the average trail/enduro/MX rider, they may appear pint-sized and kinda weird, but closer inspection of these machines’ component spec and quality of finish is eye opening. And with more and more riders looking to take their enduro bikes into extreme terrain, trial bikes are increasingly being used to improve bike control skills.
Here’s a snapshot of how Sherco’s 2021 trial bikes have evolved on their predecessors…
2021 ENGINE UPGRADES
- The exhaust port has been redesigned to provide better low-RPM power and throttle response.
- There’s a new cylinder head with increased volume and a different compression ratio.
- The size and shape of the cylinder’s exhaust port have been modified.
- The crankshaft is rebalanced to work in conjunction with the new cylinder head.
2021 ST ‘RACING’ MODELS – COMMON UPGRADES
- The new swingarm uses a different core that design to be lighter, less rigid, and offer more grip.
- A taller 42-tooth rear sprocket is fitted (the improved engine thermodynamics at low revs have allowed this mod to the primary drive). This reduces the chain effect, which creates better traction.
- Aluminum-colour frame.
- Graphite colour triple clamps and handlebar clamps.
- Black rims with yellow hubs.
- Optimisation and simplification of the wiring harness.
- Lighting system plug and play.
- New 2021 graphics kit (same as the Factory models).
According to Sherco, “The Racing ST range is made for people who love to spend time on their bike. From a Sunday ride to more demanding conditions and trials sections, these bikes have proven their ability to perform in difficult conditions. The rider will find the bike to be reliable, it will inspire confidence and provide strong performance.”
2021 ST ‘FACTORY’ MODELS
Here are the extra and/or special components the up-specced Factory models get for 2021:
- New rear suspension links – this lowers the motorcycle, and improves balance and compression.
- New Reiger rear shock absorber settings – optimised for use with the new suspension links.
- Hard Rock footpegs – black aluminium pegs provide better boot grip.
- Tech aluminum fork.
- Blue cylinder head with interchangeable dome.
- Galfer brake discs – front and rear
- New 2021 graphics kit
According to Sherco, “The Factory ST range is dedicated to the most demanding riders. Premium components and factory finishes bring the bike to another level, ready for competition. It is the choice of our Factory Racing team. Ride it to the highest steps of the podiums!”