First Look: Husky’s 2021 FS450 Supermoto Weapon
In dirt bike circles, there’s an age-old rivalry between Japanese and European brands. It’s a tribal, binary thing, despite there being several manufacturers from both Japan and Europe. Collectively, the Japanese brands have topped the sales charts for motocross bikes in most markets around the world, while the reverse is true for enduro models. But when it comes to supermoto machinery, you could argue that neither Europe or Japan – but one brand – has been synonymous with these hybrid tarmac weapons: Husqvarna! And this cool-looking 2021-model FS450 that Husqvarna recently unveiled only reinforces that long-standing association.
Here is Husqvarna’s PR about their 2021 FS450, which comes with new suspension, chassis and bodywork, and will be available in limited numbers in Australia from January, 2021.
Underlining the brand’s continued commitment to the supermoto segment, Husqvarna Motorcycles is pleased to announce the release of the MY21 FS450 – the single-cylinder competition supermoto machine that features advanced engineering, class-leading ergonomics and traction control as standard.
Housing a compact 63hp engine within a lightweight frame and modern bodywork, the FS450 features revised suspension settings that deliver enhanced handling and damping characteristics for incredible on-track riding experiences.
For 2021, the FS450 features a WP XACT fork with AER technology and a new mid-valve damping system that ensures a more consistent front-end suspension performance. Further enhancing the machine’s manoeuvrability, a new 22mm diameter front axle and a 7mm reduction in the base offset of the fork sharpens turning and overall agility. Refinements to the easily adjustable WP XACT shock improve rear-end damping performance with new, low-friction linkage seals delivering a refined suspension response.
Firing into life with a simple press of the electric start button, the FS450’s SOHC engine provides riders with responsive and usable power, delivered smoothly through the Pankl Racing Systems five-speed gearbox.
The FS450’s functional bodywork delivers ergonomics designed for exceptional comfort and is further enhanced by the addition of a high-grip seat cover to improve control in all conditions.
Enabling balanced and powerful braking, a four-piston radially-mounted Brembo brake caliper and pump work in conjunction with a 310mm disc to deliver exceptional front wheel stopping performance. A single piston brake caliper and a 220mm disc are mounted at the rear.
The FS450 features premium components, including CNC machined triple clamps, Alpina wheels and Bridgestone tyres, a carbon fibre composite subframe and a Magura hydraulic clutch, ensuring unrivalled, top-level supermoto performance.
- New mid-valve damping provides consistent fork performance
- New low-friction linkage seals for smoother shock action
- Revised WP XACT shock settings improve traction
- New seat cover texture for exceptional comfort and control
- Shortened wheelbase (7mm) for optimal turning capabilities
- New 22mm front wheel axle for improved fork response
- Engine – 63hp and only 27.3kg
- Frame – perfect flex characteristics, advanced rider feedback
- Carbon fibre composite subframe – lightweight and robust
- Swingarm – optimal stiffness and reliability in a lightweight construction
- WP XACT front fork – progressive and consistent damping
- WP XACT rear shock – 266mm wheel travel
- Black 16.5”/17” Alpina spoked wheels and Bridgestone slick tyres – top-level performance
- Bodywork – distinctive looks, modern design and new seat cover texture
- ProTaper handlebar – class-leading function and style
- Launch control – maximum traction for perfect starts
- High-performance Brembo brakes – shorter stopping distance with greater control and confidence
The 2021 FS450 will be available in very limited numbers in Australia from January 2021 at authorised Husqvarna Motorcycles dealers.