Primed For Sunny Corner!
As expected, almost 1000 riders have already signed up to ride this weekend’s 32nd running of Sunny Corner Trail Bike Ride – the biggest organised annual trailride in Australia. Online entries may have closed, but it’s still possible to enter from midday tomorrow (Friday), or on Saturday and Sunday morning.
Here’s a snapshot of what you can expect from the iconic weekend-long event, to be held in the Sunny Corner State Forest on NSW’s Central Tablelands:
- Online entries are now closed (these numbers are on-par with 30th anniversary event in 2016, when a record 1700 riders took part).
- Entries will be available to purchase on-ground on Friday, September 14, from midday until 5 or 6pm.
- Entries will be available to purchase on-ground on Saturday from 6am.
- Entries will also be available from those who can only ride on Sunday. Organisers indicated that they would be prepared to discount Sunday-only entry fees slightly.
- There will be three loops – two longer loops that range from 55 to 70km (which typically take about two-and-a-half hours for the average rider to complete), and a 35km loop.
- There are hard and easy sections to make sure all riding abilities are catered to. Plus there are cut-off points about halfway into the longer loops, in case people want to shortcut back to the staging area.
- All loops are still based in state forest, with a majority of them made up from singletrail.
- Loops open at 8am on Saturday, and closed around the 1-2pm mark (for new traffic, that is).
- With snow in the region two weeks ago and lots of rain over the past two weeks, organisers expect the trails to be prime, with plenty of moisture left in the ground, particularly in the pine forest sections.
YAMAHA DEMO BIKE PROGRAM…
- On both Saturday and Sunday, Yamaha will be holding a bike demo program around a 4km loop (all on private property) for kids’ bikes, as well as their adult enduro bike range. A different track will be used for each.
- You can book online through Yamaha, or rock up at the event and sign up.
MAJOR PRIZES UP FOR GRABS…
- A 2018 Yamaha WR450F;
- Two PeeWee 50s;
- A Yamaha generator;
- An MMG three-bike enclosed trailer;
- Michelin and GoldenTyre tyres (up for grabs via tyre changing challenge competitions); and
- A heap of other sponsor prize giveaways.
The raffle draw will be held on Saturday at around 4-5pm (TBC by organisers early Saturday arvo). To be eligible to win, you need to be at the raffle draw (you also need to make sure you’ve put your raffle ticket into the barrel, and you have to ride a loop of the course to qualify).
ENTRY FEE INCLUSIONS…
For $180, you get:
- Two days’ access to the three trail loops;
- Two meal vouchers;
- A ticket for the prize draw;
- Saturday night bonfire;
- Access to trade stalls and other displays; and
- The opportunity to ride Yamaha’s latest range of bikes on a purpose-built course.